Tuesday, January 17, 2006

That was then

This is now:

The president of the United States has been breaking the law repeatedly and insistently," [Al] Gore said in a speech at Constitution Hall in Washington. "A president who breaks the law is a threat to the very structure of our government."

But as Vice-President he sang a different tune:

My counsel advises me that there is no controlling, legal authority....

And my counsel advises me, let me repeat, that there is no controlling legal authority that says that any of these activities violated any law.

....My counsel tells me there is no controlling legal authority that says was any violation of any law.

.... there is no controlling legal authority, no case ever brought, ever decided that says that is a violation of law.

....And again, I am advised that there is no controlling legal authority that says this was in violation of law.

....In reviewing the matter, my counsel advises me there's no case. There's no controlling legal authority that says that violate the law.

....I'm advised that it is -- that there is no case or no controlling legal authority that says it is a violation of the law.

No comments: