Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Day Without Anglicans?

They're fed up and not going to take it anymore:

"What do we want?"

"More police!""When do we want them?""NOW!"

It was a curious sight, some 500 people, many middle-aged, marching along a Spanish road, in a Spanish town, watched with curiosity and not a little concern by Spanish police.

The banners were in English, the chants were in English, and most – but by no means all – of the marchers were English.

....Steve Miller, 42, lives in Huddersfield, in Britain. He was holidaying in nearby Torrevieja when he was mugged early one evening, losing all his money, papers, the lot. He went straight to the Guardia Civil offices close by, to report the theft.

“They said I needed an interpreter. I told them, 'I've lost all my cash, my passport, I'm bleeding from a cut to my forehead, and no, I don't speak Spanish. I'm just here on holiday, for God's sake!'

"No, they told me to go away and get an interpreter. How they hell do I do that? How do I pay for one? They just shrugged, and told me to clear off. I tell you, it's the last time I come to ruddy Spain!”

Law and order is the biggest issue, closely followed by lack of interpreters, seemingly absurd Spanish bureaucracy, police apathy and official intransigence.

And they're inspired by:

...if the estimated 150,000 British residents along the Costas got together, and formed a political party, the effects of Spanish local government could be enormous. No Taxation Without Representation; the slogan that sparked the American war of independence, and lost Britain its American colonies - and now it's starting to be heard again.

No comments: