Sunday, September 16, 2007

Enid Fogel, RIP

The wife, and collaborator of Robert Fogel passed away recently:

Enid M. Fogel, retired associate dean of students at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, died Sunday, September 2, at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Mrs. Fogel, 84, was a resident of Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood. Her husband, Nobel Prize–winning economist Robert W. Fogel, credited her work as a researcher in helping him succeed in his career.

Robert Fogel is the Charles R. Walgreen Distinguished Service Professor of American Institutions at the Graduate School of Business. At the time of her death, Mrs. Fogel and her husband were writing two books: Simon Kuznets and the Empirical Tradition in Economics and The Transformation of Economics, 1914-1980: Interviews with Economists.

“Over the years, Enid has been both my most confident supporter and my keenest critic,” Robert Fogel wrote in his autobiography posted on the Nobel Prize web site. “No individual has done more to help me pursue a career in science than my wife. When I was an assistant professor, she combined care of the children with many hours of unpaid labor as a research assistant in library archives. She helped boost my self-confidence when my unorthodox findings provoked controversy and criticism, and she often provided insightful suggestions for the improvement of my lectures, papers, books, letters, and research proposals.”

No comments: