Friday, October 05, 2007

No 'I' in Team Award

We have a winner in Pullman, Washington:

This week, 6-foot-5 guard-forward Marcus Capers of Winterhaven, Fla., committed to WSU for 2008-09 — after WSU junior guard Taylor Rochestie decided to give up his scholarship. Rochestie's decision allowed the Cougars to squeeze in Capers with the NCAA maximum of 13.

"For somebody to do something for me, when they've got it [a scholarship] already, I'm truly blessed," said Capers, who this year is attending Montverde Academy, about 30 miles from Orlando.

....WSU informed Jerome Capers that it had no available scholarships, with a projected class of four recruits for 2008. Then Rochestie, whose Santa Barbara, Calif., family is able to afford the loss of the scholarship, broached the idea to WSU coach Tony Bennett.

"After I talked to my dad about it, I knew it was a no-brainer," Rochestie said in a statement.

"The recruits I met are exciting, athletic and are special kids. To be able to set something up for the future and continue what we've got going means the world to me."

No comments: