Friday, December 14, 2007

It Was the Worst of Times

To hear Helen tell it:
Just ask Dame Helen Mirren.

The 62-year-old Oscar winner has become embroiled in an astonishing war of words with critic Michael Winner after accusing him of treating her "like a piece of meat".


But for Mr Winner it was the Breast of Times:
...the 72-year-old Death Wish director insists he was not auditioning the actress for a part but was merely advising her to amend a set of rather unflattering casting photos.

Speaking tonight, he told the Mail: "The only time I ever met Helen Mirren it was as a favour to her agent, Margaret Johnston, who was a real friend of mine.

"She rang me and said she had photographs of Helen in which she had these enormous sagging boobs. She thought the photographs wouldn't help her get work.

"She said to me: 'Could you see Helen and impress upon her that she should wear a brassiere to hold up these bosoms. I can't talk any sense into her - see what you can do.' So it was favour to the agent.

"I saw Helen and as I had been instructed to deal with the situation of her breasts, I did indeed ask her to stand up. I don't remember asking her to turn around but if I did I wasn't being serious.

"I can see it now; she was wearing a peasant blouse and a skirt in the photographs - with enormous bosoms which were sagging a bit even though she was young. I was only doing what the agent asked me - and for this I get reviled!

No comments: