Thursday, August 30, 2007

Clothes Make the Woman

She feels pretty...and that's bad news for the opponents:

"You put on a nice outfit and some make-up," Maria Sharapova said of the crystal-encrusted evening dress she is wearing for the US Open, "and you're the bomb." ....

Fashion does not detract from Sharapova's tennis; indeed, it positively enhances it. She disclosed that if she is happy with how she is dressed on the court, then she is more likely to play her best tennis. Sharapova would not be the same player if she had turned up here in a shapeless, frumpy dress.

Every tennis player is looking for an edge. It is just that Sharapova's is a designer dress with 600 Swarovski crystals sewn into the neckline. ....

"I was trying to get through my pre-match warm-up as fast as I could so I could put the dress on actually. That's not a joke," Sharapova said. "I was pretty excited about putting it on. So I told my coach, 'Last return and I'm out of here. I'm going in the locker-room'. It makes a difference when you feel good about what you're wearing and you feel good about putting it on. You know what it's like. You feel like you're the bomb. I had never worn red before. And there's no better place to do it than at a night match in New York City."

No comments: