Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Summit I Said?

International etiquette butts heads with economic reality in Zimbabwe:
Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe should consider staying away from the forthcoming EU-African summit,according to the host nation, Portugal.

"If you ask me if I would like him to come to Lisbon I would say that I would prefer that he ... not come," said Foreign Minister Luis Amado. British prime minister Gordon Brown has said he will stay away from the December meeting if Mr Mugabe attends.

But African states have made it clear that they want Mr Mugabe to attend.
And Mr Mugabe says he does want to be there.


....Britain accuses Mr Mugabe of human rights abuses and rigging elections. Scandinavian EU members have also voiced concern about him.

He is subject to a travel ban in Europe and his government is under EU sanctions. But travel bans are traditionally lifted for big international meetings.

No comments: